Friday, November 17, 2006

Peggy Noonan on the Republican reaction to the election results:

There is a general sense the loss was not undeserved--this is an unusual attitude for runners just back from the race....

I don't know what athletes she hangs out with, but they've got to be serious whiners. In my world, when people lose a race, they assume the winner was the best runner, at least that day.

To tell you the truth, I don't see any evidence that Republicans are thinking, "We deserved to lose." I think, at best, a few of them are thinking, "They [i.e., everybody who deviated from the Correct Republican Path, whatever that is] deserved to lose. Maybe now they'll come to their senses, like me." Or they blame the media. Or Rove. Or Bush, for not firing Rumsfeld sooner.

And speaking of Rumsfeld, we know he thinks he has an inalienable right to victory on the squash court, so he reserves the right to cheat. I suspect Peggy's acquaintances have a similar sense of entitlement -- on race day and on Election Day.

****

(Yeah, I know: McCain said Republicans deserved to lose. But that's a trick shot intended, if it goes right, to appeal to the base -- "We betrayed our principles" -- and the middle -- "You're right, we suck these days.")

No comments: