Monday, January 17, 2005

This was posted at Free Republic a couple of days ago:

How I Taught My 6-Year Old About MLK Day

So today my 6-year old comes home from kindergarten, and starts telling me about Martin Luther King Day, and about Dr. King and how a lady named Rosa Parks wouldn't give up her seat back when brown people were forced to ride on the back of the bus.

I have been anticipating MLK day and how public school would be the first one to introduce my daughter to the idea that black people and white people are different, and how white people have opressed black people.

Not that I don't want her to learn about this sad piece of American history, but I really think it would be better if this weren't the first thing she learned about American history.

So after she finished telling me about how white people were mean to black people (actually, I have taught her since she was a toddler to think in terms of beige and brown people), I said to her:

"Do you know who made the laws that said brown people couldn't ride in the front of the bus, and that they couldn't do other things beige people could do?"

She said: "Who?"

And I said: "They were called Jom
[sic] Crow laws, and it was the Democrats who made them."

And she said: "I hate Democrats."

I didn't bother to respond to that. I figure, let her PC Massachusetts school system put that in their pipe and smoke it when she brings that up in class next time the subject comes up.


Lovely.

No comments: